Sunday, July 16, 2006

Illustration Friday - Sacrifice



Well, I'm a total convert to Illustration Friday. Thank you to all the lovely people who left comments on my last drawing. It's great to get an opportunity to see everyone's different interpretations - really inspiring.

This week's theme is Sacrifice. My husband and brother-in-law were suggesting that I draw something bloody, but I thought I'd try for something slightly more subtle. The image which came into my head was the scapegoat...the goat which was sacrificed for the sins of others. So here's the poor old goat.

We've been in Sydney visiting my cousins and aunt and uncle so the drawing is just on a page from my moleskine. Thanks to my cousin Jackson for helping me find some good images of goats so that I could draw my idea!

13 comments:

Amy Zaleski said...

Your subtlety totally works here. This has a nice graphic quality to it. Great idea!

claudine hellmuth said...

great illo!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you've managed to capture a goat's eyes and made them soulful! Great take on the theme.

Anonymous said...

I like it KT! Yes I agree it has a striking graphic feel to it.

Jana Bouc said...

I feel such compassion for the goat, it's almost painful. So I guess that means your illustration is pretty powerful! Nicely drawn and composed too. I like the inkwork on the goat and I'm glad you didn't do something bloody. The red background is just enough.

JO said...

Great concept. Nice illo. I enjoy Illustration Friday as well, it's so nice to see everyones ideas.

Bill Z said...

yeah, hopefully their blooblust was satified by the blood-fire background. It very effective to just show the goat's impending doom in his eyes

Anonymous said...

I like this, such innocence in the eyes.

Liz Jones said...

Poor goat!! Good topic choice!

georg said...

I like the eyes very much. Just like these are eyes of this very special beautiful goat, and there's fire waiting for him.

Poor goat. Why not use a calf this time?

Great image.

Anonymous said...

Lovely. I think the goat might have a cunning plan to escape this time, though - he knows more than he's letting on...

Anonymous said...

I lovelovelove it! The colours are really vivid. The whole composition works really well.
Dont you think this one would be brilliant as an etching. (hint,hint).

xoxoxo

Tiger Mouse said...

Thank you everyone for the kind comments! I must confess that I hope that the goat has an escape plan...I got fond of him when drawing him!